The Best CBD Oil for Joint Pain and How to Use It Properly
CBD oil has been used traditionally for thousands of years to relieve pain and ease discomfort, but only recently has the medical community once more embraced its healing capabilities. Many people, including experts and researchers, have praised the incredible therapeutic potential of cannabinoids, especially when applied topically as an oil to ease joint pain. (1) (2)
What Can Hemp Oil Do for Joint Pain?
Many people commonly reach for over-the-counter pharmaceuticals to relieve pain and stiffness, but these can come with a wide array of side effects, including damage to the liver, kidneys, and stomach lining. (3) For those who prefer a more gentle, natural approach to managing their joint pain and inflammation, CBD oil may provide relief without the long-term side effects found in many other pain relievers. (4)
CBD oil applied topically to areas afflicted with joint pain and inflammation may soothe discomfort quickly without ingestion or absorption into the bloodstream. Researchers at the Imperial College London found that CBD can reduce inflammation in mice by 50 percent at the right dosage. (6)
There are many studies that support hemp oil’s pain-relieving claim. Scientists from the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda (US), for example, showed that cannabinoids can suppress inflammatory and neuropathic pain without causing analgesic tolerance (increased tolerance that commonly occurs when taking opioids, meaning users are required to increase their doses). (5)
The Best CBD Oil for Joint Pain
CBD lotions, creams, balms, and other topicals offer a unique usability that no other CBD product does. With CBD topicals, you can target specific points of stiffness or inflammation on your body with pinpoint accuracy. CBD is absorbable through the skin, making these topicals a great means of directly alleviating any aches or pains.
Creams and other topicals are vital for combating joint pain since you can use your CBD cream right on your knee or elbow for joint relief, something you cannot do with any other form of CBD.
However, since topicals are absorbed through the skin, they tend to work slower than most other CBD product types, even though they have can have potent CBD concentrations. Additionally, creams, lotions, and balms tend to be slightly more expensive than other CBD products when comparing CBD quantity. This is because they usually contain a variety of other high-quality ingredients not found in traditional CBD products.
Think about your needs and what you’re looking for. Are you seeking effective, long-term relief, or are you looking for more immediate comfort? For the long-term, ingestible products (such as capsules and tinctures) may be more suitable, but for sudden soreness in one particular area, a CBD topical might be just what you need.
How to Properly Use Hemp Oil for Joint Pain
Depending on the type of CBD product you choose, the usage instructions will vary. Always refer to the product’s packaging for guidelines.
How to apply topicals:
Before applying, rigorously wash the affected area of skin well and rinse away all traces of soap or cleanser. This ensures that you are not diluting the effect of the topical and are getting the full intended effects.
Pat the skin dry rather than rubbing it. Then apply the cream or ointment thinly and evenly to the affected area(s). Gently massage the cream or ointment into the skin until it has all disappeared.
Don’t forget to wash your hands after applying the cream or ointment (unless your hands are the affected area) to avoid spreading the product to other areas.
How to apply tinctures:
Hemp oil tinctures are liquid supplements packaged in a glass bottle. They will come with either a dropper or spray top for easy dispensing.
Tinctures are very popular and for a good reason. They offer a unique opportunity for the people making them add other robust ingredients, such as coconut oil, terpenes, spearmint, and other natural herbs and essential oils. These additions help mask the pungent taste of natural hemp. The flavor of tinctures is typically more well-received than pure hemp oil concentrates.
To take a hemp oil tincture, fill the pipette by using the dropper top. Then, simply dispense the desired amount under your tongue. This is called “sublingual” use. Now, wait 60 to 90 seconds, and then swallow the oil. If you find the flavor is too potent, try drinking juice along with it.
Hemp oil tinctures come in a wide array of flavors and strengths.
Keep in mind as you’re trying tinctures: If you don’t like a specific tincture, there are many other brands that may suit you better in terms of flavor and potency.
Additional Tips and Advice
- For single applications, you can add your carrier oil to the desired area first, using enough to wet the skin without becoming excessively oily. Then, immediately rub the oil into the area and massage deeply into the skin.
- Make sure you are using the right amount and applying properly. Use just enough and not more than you need. Topicals can be quite costly, so you want to get the most out of your product, and you certainly don’t want to waste any. Be sure you read the instructions on the product carefully before applying.
- Do not rub your eyes or other sensitive areas after applying. Some oils contain substances such as eucalyptus, mint, and citrus, which can cause discomfort if, for instance, you rub your eyes after applying the oil.
- CBD oil is intended as relief, not a cure. Although CBD oil can be highly effective at relieving pain and discomfort, remember that it is not a cure and is only intended to ease suffering and help the management of pain. Don’t expect it to permanently heal any conditions or ailments you may have.
- If you forget to apply your cream or ointment, apply the correct dose when you remember, and then carry on as before. The important factor here is not to overcompensate for missed doses by applying more when you remember. By doing this, you will only use more than you need and ultimately waste some of the product.
Has CBD oil helped relieve your joint pain? Let us know in the comments below.