Topical Uses for CBD Oil and How to Apply Topical CBD
Like other marijuana- and hemp-based products, CBD topicals can offer a huge range of soothing benefits, naturally.
…and no, topical CBD oil doesn’t get you “high,” but it can certainly ease sore muscles and help with relaxation!
What Is Topical CBD & How Does It Work?
When we talk about topical CBD, we’re referring to the range of lotions, balms, sprays, and other skin-care products made from cannabidiol, a natural derivative of marijuana and hemp plants.
CBD works differently in our bodies than THC, so CBD does not cause the same “stoned” feeling when it is ingested. This is because it binds to different receptors in the endocannabinoid system, a part of our bodies responsible for regulating appetite, mood, and memory. Some of the same receptors are also activated when you apply topical CBD oil products to your skin. (1)
CBD topicals are sold in both pure oil form and combined with other natural oils for added sensation or aromatherapy effects. When applied properly, they offer relief from all kinds of ailments, including pain, stiffness, and inflammation. They are an excellent choice for people of all ages looking for therapeutic cannabis products that do not need to be ingested or smoked.
One of the main health benefits of CBD oil is that it offers effective relief of chronic or occasional pain and discomfort without the side effects of pharmaceutical medications.
Uses of Topical CBD Products
Topical CBD oil offers a range of benefits. Here are a few:
- These products are all-natural with no dyes or toxins (or at least they should be—always check your labels before you buy).
- You can mix your hemp salve or lotion with your favorite essential oils.
- CBD topical oils are extremely moisturizing and nourishing, protecting against dryness and maintaining the skin’s elasticity.
- There are no known side effects of using these products.
- Topicals are perfectly legal.
- Topicals work immediately; other options like CBD edibles can take a while to kick in.
- Cannabinoids are potent antioxidants, antibacterial agents, and anti-inflammatories. (2) (3)
- CBD products used externally are great for joint support.
Topical CBD for Neuropathic Pain
One study has provided evidence supporting CBD oil (in combination with THC-based topicals) as an effective treatment for neuropathic pain. (4) Neuropathic pain stems from damaged nerve cells that have difficulty sending messages to the brain.
Neuropathic pain is a common symptom for those suffering from diseases like multiple sclerosis and diabetes. This type of pain may include numbness, tingling, or shooting pain and can lead to serious adverse effects such as skin infections. Treatment for this type of pain typically consists of antidepressants or other medication, but it can be very difficult to treat, and medications aren’t always effective.
For those living with chronic bodily pain, cannabidiol pain relief in topical form can offer a much-needed natural source of relief when used in combination with other treatments or if medications are proving ineffective.
How to Apply Topical CBD
Unlike ingestible CBD, which can provide pain relief for the whole body, topicals work only at the point of contact, because they are not absorbed into the bloodstream. Making sure that you understand where the pain is coming from will improve the effectiveness—for instance, a headache could stem from a tense jaw, and sore legs may indicate an issue with your back or hips.
To use a salve, simply rub a generous amount all over the areas of your body where you feel discomfort or tension. Our skin does not generally absorb cannabinoids well, so be sure to use a liberal amount and repeat the application if you don’t feel relief.
Here’s how to make sure your CBD topical works well:
- Clean and dry the area thoroughly before application.
- Start with a small amount of the product, and rub it into the affected area using slow, medium-firm circles.
- Allow the product to penetrate the skin, and apply more if necessary or if your skin is very dry.
- You should notice a calming, fresh effect on that area almost immediately, but this might be subtle, so you can feel free to repeat the process as many times as needed.
When used properly, topical CBD products can provide a world of relief to those suffering from external pain. They can also be amazing to use alongside aromatherapy oils after a workout or as a part of your next romantic massage.
If you have intense pain, you may want to consider using one of the high-CBD strains available from Healthy Hemp Oil.
A Win-Win Solution
If you suffer from chronic or occasional muscle pain, tension, skin conditions, inflammation, or related problems and are looking for relief, don’t hesitate to give one of our top-quality topicals a try. And for a completely relaxing and nourishing experience, consider trying a topical alongside one of the tasty CBD edibles available today.
Have you had any success with the use of CBD topicals? Let us know in the comments below!