Should CBD-infused Beauty Products Be Part of Your Skin-Care Regimen?
Beauty products infused with CBD are part of a growing trend in skin care. CBD, cannabis, and hemp products have taken the world of skin care and cosmetics by storm. Products like hemp-based CBD topicals are becoming the new go-to for people who want to keep their skin fresh and their bodies healthy.
From providing powerful antioxidant activity that may do wonders for your complexion to helping alleviate irritation caused by skin issues, there is a wide range of potential benefits that products infused with hemp-based CBD can offer you. There’s also a wide array of evidence that supports the many ways CBD beauty products can reinvigorate your skin, so why not try it out and see what CBD can do for your beauty regimen?
Topical CBD Oils for Smooth Skin
CBD topicals include balms, salves, lotions, and oils that are infused with active cannabinoids and are applied to and absorbed directly through your skin. These cannabinoid-infused topicals have become the beauty industry’s latest obsession thanks to their soothing, moisturizing, and rejuvenating effects. The popularity of topical CBD products has grown massively in recent years, with CBD and other cannabinoids making their way into various beauty products, skin creams, lip balms, shampoos, and more.
But how do they work? Instead of ingesting the CBD orally, which can take up to two hours for your body to experience the full effects, topicals are applied directly to the skin, which allows the CBD to take effect more quickly. CBD is never absorbed into the bloodstream when using topicals. Most importantly, though, CBD topicals are non-psychoactive, meaning they won’t get users “high.”
For those who may be somewhat reluctant to take CBD products orally, topical application can be a great way to explore the wonders of CBD-infused products and see how CBD can benefit them.
What Can CBD Oil Do for Skin?
The list of benefits provided by CBD oil is long and rigorous, and some of them may surprise you. CBD oil is one of the more accessible and easy-to-understand forms of cannabis, and from basic moisturizing to giving relief from the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis, it’s not hard to see why people love it.
Here are just a few benefits CBD oil may provide for your skin:
- Provides effective and long-lasting moisture: Cold weather, dry indoor air, or the overuse of harsh soaps can cause your skin to lose moisture, leading to irritation and flakiness. The long-lasting moisturizing effect that CBD oil can provide could be the remedy you’ve been looking for.
- Plumps the skin: CBD oil can also rejuvenate your ailing skin. It can smooth fine lines and wrinkles and plump tired skin, leaving you looking youthful and smooth. (1)
- Soothes the skin: Skin that is sore or irritated from rashes or skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, or eczema can be incredibly uncomfortable, painful, and frustrating. CBD oil can provide a calming remedy to soothe and relax your skin. However, you should be cautious to avoid applying CBD oil to open wounds or unknown rashes that have not been observed by a doctor.
- Balances oily skin: Sebum is an oily secretion of the sebaceous glands. (2) The right amount helps to protect your skin, but too much can lead to acne and a greasy-looking face. (3) CBD increases the body’s levels of cannabinoids such as anandamide (AEA), which has been shown to reduce levels of sebum. (4) Because of this, CBD oil could be a great solution if you find yourself suffering from these symptoms.
- Works for all skin types: Due to CBD’s antioxidant properties, it is a universally effective method of skin care. Antioxidants are important because of their ability to minimize the damage from “free radicals.” Whether your skin is rough or smooth, dry or oily, CBD oil can help you make the most of it so that you look and feel great.
A quick rundown of CBD oil in your personal-care regimen shows that it can be used on your hair, lips, hands, and body. Some of the benefits include shampoo that can provide your hair with essential vitamins, including A, C, and E, and minerals such as zinc, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and magnesium. (5) (6)
Furthermore, CBD is a great source of vitamin D, so CBD-infused lip balm can give your lips the vitamin D they need to stay smooth and plump. (7) (8) CBD may act as a great vitamin D supplement since most of us don’t get enough from food or the sun, and applying it topically can be an effective method of absorption. (9) There are many benefits of vitamin D, including improving the immune system, strengthening bones, and reducing the risk of cancer. There are also many benefits to the other aforementioned minerals. For example, cracks may appear at the corners of your mouth if you are deficient in iron and zinc. (10)
CBD Skin-Care Products to Try
Of course, CBD is not used only in skin care, and it isn’t only found in oil form. There are a variety of personal-care products infused with CBD’s rejuvenating and calming power. And never forget, cosmetics and beauty products are not just for women—men can benefit just as much from some of these products. From shampoo to lip balm, CBD has plenty of remarkable healing properties. (11) Here are just a few you should check out:
- Supercharge your skin care routine with this all-natural Abinoid Botanicals: Blue Chamomile & Hemp Face Serum. Infused with 100mg full-spectrum CBD and 23 phytonutrient-rich plant extracts, this powerful serum will lift and brighten the skin, while providing deep hydration.
- Great for all skin types and conditions, this CBD Skin Care Kit helps to hydrate, nourish and protect your skin in 4 simple steps.
- This hemp infused cream is specially formulated for sensitive skin to provide soothing, all-over relief from pain and inflammation.
Tips for Applying Topical CBD Oils
If you’re unfamiliar with or unsure of how to properly and effectively apply topicals to your skin, follow these simple instructions to ensure you’re getting the most out of your CBD skin care products.
- Don’t mix CBD skin products with other topical products.
It’s important that you are applying the CBD topical to areas of the skin that are unaffected by other skin-care products. Making sure that you are applying your topicals to clean, product-free skin ensures that your skin is effectively absorbing the oil in its entirety. Mixing the CBD oil with other products will only dilute the effects and reduce its effectiveness.
- Make sure you are applying it at the right time.
Do not apply CBD oil before bathing or taking part in an activity that will make you sweat. Water will only wash away the oil from your skin before it has time to absorb and do its work. Excessive sweating can also prevent the oil from penetrating the skin, which will nullify the effects.
- Apply liberally and massage CBD oil into the skin.
Once the oil has been applied, massage it gently but firmly into your skin. The body won’t absorb much of the cannabinoid in small doses, so be sure to apply liberally. Once you’re done, make sure you wash your hands so you do not inadvertently spread potentially irritable substances to sensitive areas. Some oils contain compounds that may cause discomfort and irritation to the wrong parts of the body, such as the eyes.
- Follow the directions on the packaging.
Be sure that you are applying as much oil as is recommended, and read over any and all instructions carefully. Following these instructions and basic rules is the best way to ensure that you are getting the most out of your CBD topicals.
Research and Studies on the Skin Care and CBD Oil Connection
Although CBD in skin care is still a fairly new concept, there is already a substantial amount of research that shows its potential and potency. When asked by Marie Claire magazine about CBD’s benefits, Joyce Imahiyerobo-Ip, MD and director of cosmetic dermatology at South Shore Medical Center in MA, praised its healing and soothing capabilities, saying that “CBD is anti-inflammatory and potentially antimicrobial, meaning it could help fight bacteria and pathogens.” (12) She also talked of its antioxidant properties, which she claimed can “result in anti-aging benefits.”
“Cannabis is filled with antioxidants, like vitamin A, vitamin D, and vitamin E, all of which will be helpful in preventing damage and premature crepiness under your eyes,” she continued. But that’s not all. There are plenty of studies to support CBD oil being a good source of antioxidants, which are useful in fighting free radicals (compounds in the body that can damage cells and impair their functions). (13) (14)
Antioxidants work by stabilizing free radicals, preventing the chemical chain reaction caused by these compounds and therefore minimizing their damage. CBD oil has also been proven to protect against neurodegenerative disorders and age-related brain changes. (15)
Furthermore, New York-based Whitney Bowe, MD, and New Jersey-based Jeanette Jacknin, MD, both agree that CBD’s anti-aging and anti-inflammatory benefits have been clinically proven. “Studies have shown that the cannabinoids like CBD in marijuana are anti-inflammatory and anti-aging, and topical CBD has proven helpful for acne, eczema, and psoriasis,” Dr. Jacknin has reported. “Hemp seed oil is reputed to be the most unsaturated oil derived from the plant kingdom, so it is less pore-clogging but a great moisturizer for dry, cracked skin.” (16)
What Users Think about CBD for Skin Care
Scientific evidence and the approval of experts is reassuring, but what do people who have tried CBD topicals have to say? Speaking anecdotally, CBD users have generally had nothing but great things to say about the benefits of topical CBD oil. There are many different forums and sites dedicated to the discussion of CBD and its benefits where people suffering from a variety of skin ailments (or just people simply wanting to try it out for its cosmetic qualities) have praised its impact. (17) (18)
Take a look for yourself at the amount of satisfied people who have come away from experimenting with CBD topicals with positive results. Many users have supported its beauty applications, saying it did wonders for their skin. Others have discussed its calming and relaxing benefits.
Ultimately, topical CBD oil for skin care is a new and exciting field. Although not all the research has been done, there is already plenty of evidence that it provides outstanding benefits for your skin—whether that’s to keep its vibrance or, for some older users, to help fight off some of the signs of aging.. With its soothing, moisturizing, and rejuvenating qualities, CBD topicals have already proven themselves to be a great alternative to the many beauty and cosmetic products out there. So why not check out topical CBD oil and see how it can change your skin care regimen today?
If you’ve already used CBD oil as part of your skin care regimen, let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you!